[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 14 10:41:42 UTC 2023

On 14/06/2023 09:13, Perttu Aaltonen via samba wrote:

> In my Ubuntu installations I use Netplan to set all network configuration, including dns servers and search domain, and leave resolv.conf alone. Works well and out of the box at least for domain member servers as I use Debian for domain controllers.
>
> -Perttu

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 in a VM (I do not think it should matter that
it is a VM) and everything was set except for the FQDN in /etc/hosts and
the search in /etc/resolv.conf
The VM was getting its dns information via dhcp from my router, which I
think is probably a fairly common scenario.

Now I know my router isn't the greatest, but it should be possible to
work around that.

By default the only netplan file I appear to have is:

/etc/netplan/01-network-manager-all.yaml

Which contains this:

# Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
network:
   version: 2
   renderer: NetworkManager

So, I appear to be using Network Manager.

Last night after the install, everything, apart from the two problems I
mentioned earlier, was working, this morning, nothing was working and I
hadn't touched anything.

I fixed /etc/hosts by adding the FQDN to the 127.0.1.1 line, this didn't
help

I attempted to fix the search line in /etc/resolv.conf with:

nmcli c modify 'Wired connection 1' +ipv4.dns-search samdom.example.com

All that did was to add the line;

dns-search=samdom.example.com

to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired\ connection\ 1.nmconnection

I then gave up and set a fixed ip via the GUI (which doesn't have
anywhere to set the search domain) and everything burst into life, I
even got the search domain in /etc/resolv.conf

At this point I have stopped, I know offline logon works from this point.

There just seems to be a problem with my router, its dhcp server and
Ubuntu 22.04

Rowland