[Samba] Samba Mailing Lists: How to talk Samba nicely

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Jun 13 21:09:15 UTC 2023

> On 13/06/2023 15:26, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>

>> On 13/06/2023 14:07, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marco, please see inline comments:
>>
>>>   root at dane:~# bash samba-collect-debug-info.sh
>>>   Please wait, collecting debug info.
>>>   nameserver 127.0.0.53
>>>   samba-collect-debug-info.sh: riga 180: systemd-resolve: comando
>>> non trovato
>>
>> Your nameserver appears to be set to '127.0.0.53' and the script
>> thinks that systemd-resolved is running, but it probably isn't
>>

>>> Config collected --- 2023-06-13-14:59 -----------
>>>
>>> Hostname:   dane
>>> DNS Domain:
>>> Realm:
>>> FQDN:       dane
>>> ipaddress:  10.5.2.191
>>
>> Hmm, it looks like a dns problem, no dns domain
>>

> OK, I have re-installed Ubuntu 22.04 and I 'think' I know what the
> problem is, I haven't worked out a fix yet though.
>
> I have in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> nameserver 127.0.0.53
> options edns0 trust-ad
> search .
>
> Yes that's right, just a dot for the search domain and I cannot find
> out how to change it, because /etc/resolv.conf is actually a symlink
> to another file and I cannot find what writes that file :-(
>
> It doesn't help that my dhcp server is probably sending the wrong dns
> domain) (if it is sending it at all)
> My ISP thought it would be a good idea to cripple the router to save
> them service calls.

Hi Rowland, all,

you can read about the ubuntu systemd-resolved here:

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/impish/man8/systemd-resolved.service.8.html

But I tend to deactivate it and turn to the classical setup with
/etc/resolv.conf .

This can be done by setting

  DNSStubListener=no

in
  /etc/systemd/resolved.conf

and removing the symlink, replacing it with a traditional resolv.conf file.

You then also  should disable the stub resolver:

systemctl disable --now  systemd-resolved

Hope this helps, Jakob