[Samba] Samba Mailing Lists: How to talk Samba nicely

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 13 19:57:16 UTC 2023

> On 13/06/2023 14:07, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
>
> Hi Marco, please see inline comments:
>
>>   root at dane:~# bash samba-collect-debug-info.sh
>>   Please wait, collecting debug info.
>>   nameserver 127.0.0.53
>>   samba-collect-debug-info.sh: riga 180: systemd-resolve: comando non
>> trovato
>
> Your nameserver appears to be set to '127.0.0.53' and the script thinks
> that systemd-resolved is running, but it probably isn't
>

>> Config collected --- 2023-06-13-14:59 -----------
>>
>> Hostname:   dane
>> DNS Domain:
>> Realm:
>> FQDN:       dane
>> ipaddress:  10.5.2.191
>
> Hmm, it looks like a dns problem, no dns domain

OK, I have re-installed Ubuntu 22.04 and I 'think' I know what the
problem is, I haven't worked out a fix yet though.

I have in /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
search .

Yes that's right, just a dot for the search domain and I cannot find out
how to change it, because /etc/resolv.conf is actually a symlink to
another file and I cannot find what writes that file :-(

It doesn't help that my dhcp server is probably sending the wrong dns
domain) (if it is sending it at all)
My ISP thought it would be a good idea to cripple the router to save
them service calls.

I will get back to you.

Rowland