[Samba] Re: Samba vs. Windows : significant difference intimestamp handling ?

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Fri Aug 15 16:34:01 GMT 2003

Agreed,, ext3 is used in lots of situations where Reiser would probably be
a better choice....

As for nobody loosing data,,, I don't really think it matters what
Filesystem you have if your system decides to stick random bits on the
hard drive.  Staying away from any of them won't help much.
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Dragan Krnic wrote:

|> mtime being changed is beyond the pale. I suspect
|> ext3 is the problem. I heard some people losing all
|> of their data on ext3-formatted disks. Stay away
|> from it.
|
| Do you have some facts to back up that load of FUD?
| By all accounts I've ever seen, Ext. 3 has been
| stable for *long* time before it was even included
| in the stock Kernel tree.

Do you want to say that nobody ever lost any data on
ext3-formatted disks? Be realistic.

But does it warrant my exhortation to stay away from
it? Probably not. It was a joke without a smiley sign.
ext3 is probably a solid, though a bit clumsy and slow
fs.

I appreciate your criticism. I jumped the same way
when someone else used the same kind of FUD about
reiserfs which I would always recommend over all other.