[Fwd: Re: [Samba] Frequent crashes - drives me nuts .....]

Peter Eckhardt peter at dadi-linux.de
Fri Aug 15 15:41:12 GMT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Samba] Frequent crashes - drives me nuts .....
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:49:23 +0200
From: Peter Eckhardt <peter at dadi-linux.de>
To: Wolfram Quester <wquester at mittelerde.physik.uni-konstanz.de>

Wolfram Quester wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>

>>Might it be possible that a windows box is sending bad packets which
>>make samba die ? We have a suspicion that samba always dies when a
>>certain Win 98 box logs in to the Workgroup.
>>
>>It's strange that the system runs rock solid during the day and always
>>dies in the morning.
>

> To me this looks like a cron-job trying to restart samba, cleaning /tmp
> or /var/run or ...

unfortunately not ....

> Perhaps SuSE wants to use inetd, but you want to start/stop samba via
> an init-script...?

nope. it's started via an init script. i tried running via xinetd also.
i forgot to mention that. in the beginning i suspected it's a problem
with nmbd only. i configured nmbd to start from xinetd. that worked.
i could kill nmbd and it always came back up without problems. except
... in the morning, nmbd did not die but simply did not react anymore.
After i killed it smbd died. After both were restarted things worked ok
until the next morning.

> Does the Win 98 box run an at-job at a certain time?

nope. it's just trying to process a login script. But usually it can
not locate the PDC because nmbd is dead .... only in the morning of
course. No way to reproduce the problem during the day.

> regards,
>
> Wolfi

Thanks a lot

Peter

--

dadi-linux                       www.dadi-linux.de

Peter Eckhardt                   Fon: +49 6071 951256
Weberstr. 36B                    Fax: +49 6071 951257
64846 Groß-Zimmern               peter.eckhardt at dadi-linux.de

64846 Groß-Zimmern               peter.eckhardt at dadi-linux.de