[Samba] Samba as PDC in mixed XP/98 Client base

Marc Draco midnight.diamond at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 9 18:53:31 GMT 2003

I’ve gotten a basic Samba 2.2.7a setup working as a PDC for Windows 98
without too much hassle (once I read the friendly manual it was easy!).
However, when I try to log onto the domain from XP Pro, the user
receives an ACCESS DENIED message. The docs and books I have don’t
mention XP at all so if anyone has any ideas on what’s going on (i.e.
they have fixed this issue) OR perhaps it’s some M$ have done to break
Samba?

I’m using Mandrake 9.1 and SWAT for configuration, primarily using the
wizard to get things rolling using Samba as the domain controller.
I love Samba and I’ve been using it off and on for years now but I’ve
never actually tried using it as a PDC (for ANY NT client) and this is
where I’ve come unstuck! Unfortunately I don’t have a Win2000 system to
check it out with.
Cheers for any help anyone can offer.
Marc