[Samba] DID IT! - Samba 2.2.8a+LDAP+PDC

Scott Phelps sphelps at idgways.com
Sat Aug 9 17:38:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 07:23, Markus Amersdorfer wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:28:41 -0500
> "PHELPS, SCOTT" <SPHELPS at ridgways.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> > I even kept the same: domain name and old PDC NetBios name.
> > The trickiest part was getting all of the users to keep their same
> > profile, but I managed that by cloning the RID and Lanman/NT hashes
> > for the user accounts.
>
> Could you tell us, how you managed to keep the same domain name and the
> old PDC's NetBios name?
>
> (I always thought that a (NT4-)PDC can't be demoted to anything less
> than a BDC without re-installing the whole thing. This combined with
> Samba 2.2 not being able to handle BDCs would render it impossible to
> keep the old domain/NetBios names... but it galdly seems I was wrong!?)
>
> Many thanks in advance!!
>
> Cheers,
> Max

I didn't demote the PDC to a BDC.  I used the rpcclient utility to get
the SID for the domain.

Like this:
[root at localhost]# rpcclient <YOUR_PDC> -U administrator
Enter Password:
session setup ok
Domain=[YOURDOMAIN] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
rpcclient $> lsaquery
domain YOURDOMAIN has sid S-1-5-21-1363377815-237862100-1307212239
rpcclient $> quit

You then use smbpasswd -W to force your Samba server to use this SID

Keeping the NetBIOS name is not an issue, just copy all your shares from the old
PDC over to Samba and you dumb windoze clients won't even know the difference!

--
Scott