The reason we can't continue using Samba

Michael E Osborne mosborne at jacads.com
Fri Oct 6 01:11:05 GMT 2000

I don't think that anyone on the Samba Team could be considered dense. To
even think that is just a joke. I have been using Samba since 1.18 and have
been overjoyed with it. It has been, by far, the most stable and flexible
SMB server that I have ever used (and I have used many, and not just
Windows).

The tone of your messages is extremely arrogant. You mistakenly assume that
you know the abilities of others and then proceed to publicily denigrate
them. I find that that type of behavior offensive and unneccessary. If you
can't be more civil the please leave this list.

The use of Samba is up to you. The Samba Team is not beholden to you (or
me) for any delivery dates and they make no bones about it. As an IT
Manager, I have no problem with this. It is certainly more honest than most
of the software that I have dealt with and has not caused me any problems
with planning or scheduling or delivering necessary functions on time. You
see, not only can I plan and schedule, but I can also do exactly what
Jeremy says. I can evaluate the state of Samba by simply following these
lists and downloading new code and testing it. If I get impatient for a
particular feature to be added, I have the option to actually add it myself
because I have the complete source at my disposal.

I have been supporting NT under Samba (as a PDC) since 1.19. It's not
perfect, but then neither is NT. I will happy when the official PDC stuff
is released, but until then I can get by. The benefits of Samba outweigh
the additional overhead of using the incomplete PDC functionality.

I just can't see what all you're ranting about.

Michael Osborne
IT Manager - JACADS Project
Washington Demilitarization Co
These opinions are mine, not Washington's