[Samba] winbind warnings filling up syslog

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 1 18:29:33 UTC 2016

On 01/02/16 17:50, HASM wrote:
> rpenny> OK, based on the fact you are running Fedora and
> rpenny> have virtually have no winbind lines in smb.conf,
>
> Seems I cut off my smb.conf short.  I do have these two
> lines that may be winbind related:
>
>    idmap config * : backend = tdb
>    idmap config * : range = 1000-199999

If they are the only 'idmap config' lines you have in smb.conf and you
want to use winbind instead of sssd, then can I refer you to my previous
comment, go back to the Samba wiki page and click on one of the links.

> rpenny> you are probably running sssd.
>
> Great, another daemon to read about in my spare time:-).
> I've been ignoring that thing since it showed up.

You don't have to use sssd, but fedora probably expects you to do so,
you can use winbind instead.

> rpenny> In which case, you could try turning winbind off
>
> I stopped and disabled sssd instead, then restarted smb,
> nmb, winbind, and already have a couple of winbindd warning
> lines in the logs:
>
>    winbindd:  ads_find_dc: name resolution for realm 'XXX.CO'
>      (domain 'XXX_01') failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
>
> -- HASM

Is firewalld running ?

Rowland