[Samba] Wiki news: Build Samba, Join DCs

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:23:59 UTC 2015

On 29/09/15 18:09, Steve Ankeny wrote:
> On 09/27/2015 05:48 AM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> during the last week I finished two documentation:
>>
>> * https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_source
>>    This page wasn't more than just a "configure/make/make install"
>>    before. I hope it's now a good guide with some background
>>    information.
>>
>> *
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory
>>
>>    Major rewrite with more information, etc.
>>    Thanks to Rowland for proofreading.
>>

>> + some minor edits here and there. :-)
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc
>>

> Thanks so much for these documentations, as they've helped me
> troubleshoot my Samba AD DC
>
> I have some questions regarding,
> "Join_an_additional_Samba_DC_to_an_existing_Active_Directory"
>
> (1) I'm using Samba AD DC only, not Microsoft Active Directory
>
> (2) I'm configuring a second DC
>
> (3) Kerberos was not working properly on my first DC but now is
>
> (4) And, DNS/Kerberos is working properly on my second DC
>
> (5) As I understand it, the Samba AD DC packages are to be installed
> BEFORE the join

Yes, you need to have Samba packages, capable of being setup as a DC,
installed before you attempt to join a computer as a secondary DC

> (6) However, I am unclear whether I am to provision my second DC
> before the join

You only provision the first DC.

> (7) Or, does the join finish the provision for me?

Yes.

> Note to Rowland -- Because Kerberos was not working properly on my
> first/original DC, could that be the problem with OpenChange shutting
> down my Samba AD DC?  You're aware of my struggle in that regard.

Could be, but then again it could have been anything. I think I have
probably said this before, but in my opinion, OpenChange will go nowhere
until it doesn't care what version of Samba 4 is installed i.e. it is a
fully self contained package.

Rowland