[Samba] Simple recipe for getting started with 4.2.0

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Mar 31 12:19:21 MDT 2015

On 03/31/2015 8:55 AM, 02019 wrote:
> On 03/30/2015 09:45 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 2015-03-30 at 18:33 -0400, 02019 wrote:
>>> I bought and used Using Samba, 2ed, O'Reilly & Associates (Feb. 2003) to
>>> help me with this 12 years ago, but I think there may be
>>> interoperability problems between 4.2.0 and 2.2.5 because
>>> smbclientv4.2.0 -L hostname2.2.5 -N errors out with:
>> For Samba4 the best - the very best - source of information is the Samba
>> project's wiki page.  Ignore all the other stuff, the wiki is the place
>> to go for Samba4 documentation.
> Thank you for you reply, but I'd like to configure my new samba4 server
> with the very simplest configuration for anonymous login with read/write
> access to everyone on my LAN initially.
>
> Could someone perhaps post an incredibly simple smb.conf file that would
> offer that kind of functionality?
>
> I did look at the wiki, but all of the articles under
> <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_File_Server> (which seems
> like the article that is closest to my needs initially) assume that this
> kind of functionality already exists; whereas I don't have (even) that yet.

I think this is what you are looking for:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Public_Samba_Server

The ArchLinux wiki provide a little more detail in the "Sample
Passwordless Configuration" and "Samba Security" sections of this page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba/Tips_and_tricks

Dale