[Samba] Windows 2008R2 DC Problems

Tue Mar 31 01:46:28 MDT 2015

Hi Guys,

I was thrown off by the subject and would love to know if you could ever
resolve this problem.
I'm facing the same issues.
For various $reasons I need an additional Windows DC in my domain and as
Moe described everything looks fine until you try DNS stuff.

My environment:
DC-01 (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)
DC-02 (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Samba: Version 4.1.17 (build from sources)
Forest function level: (Windows) 2008 R2
Domain function level: (Windows) 2008 R2

DNS via BIND_DLZ with bind version 9.9.5 (Extended Support Version)

The domain was created with samba3 as an NT-style domain and migrated with
samba 4.0.7(?) using classicupgrade.

Since I'm a cautios guy I tried this with a copy of my live env in an
isolated vlan first (cloned my dc VMs, added a windows vm)
Doing this allowed me a bit of testing while debugging the problem.

The windows dc I'm trying to add is running windows 2008 r2 standard
edition with the latest patches.

I tried without success:

- Going back from BIND_DLZ to internal DNS before adding the windows dc
- Upgrading Samba (to 4.2.0)
- Moving the FSMO role for domain naming to the windows dc (which made
things really worse)

And to answers Marcs questions:

* What is the error message?
Same message as Moe is seeing

* When you create a DNS entry on the Samba server, is it replicated to the
Win DC?
Yes

* Does the behaviour changes, if you temporary shutdown Samba on the first
DC while you create the record?
no

* Who build the domain? I mean: Who was first and populated the AD? Windows
or Samba?
samba

We might be facing this problem:
http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2012/06/20/steps-taken-to-resolve-an-issue-with-corrupted-application-partitions-specifically-dns-partitions-and-their-crossref-erence-objects-in-the-ad-configuration-container/

dcdiag /test:dns

Throws some errors....

I'll collect some logs and screenshots.

Regards,