[Samba] Continuous Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated when performing dbcheck

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Thu Oct 30 01:27:58 MDT 2014

Am 29/10/14 22:57, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 11:08 +0200, Andreas Oster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> since the migration of our old Win2k domain to Samba4 some years ago
>> I get a lot of errors like the following when doing a
>> "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix" :
>>

>> ERROR: Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated in
>> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com
>> value '19700101000000.0Z' should be '16010101000000.0Z'
>> Fix normalisation for whenCreated from
>> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com? [YES]
>> Normalised attribute whenCreated
>>

>> This repeats 1000+ times for many different entries.
>>
>> The samba-tool unfortunately does not fix the issue because when I start
>> it a second time it will complain again, this time with values switched
>> around:
>>
>> value '16010101000000.0Z' should be '19700101000000.0Z'
> Both are expressions of 'zero time', in NT and unix times respectively.
>
> I suppose fix would be to always normalize via NT times, not unix times,
> but it seems quite odd that we have zero values here to start with.  I
> guess Win2k did something strange in the original setup, long ago.
>
> Sorry not to be able to give you an instant fix, but at least I can
> assure you that this is 'mostly harmless' in the short-term.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hello Andrew,

thank you very much for your answer. This error exists since the
migration of
our old win2k server and it never seemed to be a problem, as all the AD
stuff
is workin without a problem. I am just a little concerned, that it will
become
an issue in the future. I would be glad if this could be fixed. It would
also be
nice to get rid of those error messages whenever I perform a dbcheck when
updating samba.

Thank you for your kind help.

best regards

Andreas