[Samba] Continuous Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated when performing dbcheck

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 29 15:57:55 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 11:08 +0200, Andreas Oster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since the migration of our old Win2k domain to Samba4 some years ago
> I get a lot of errors like the following when doing a
> "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix" :
>

> ERROR: Normalisation error for attribute whenCreated in
> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com
> value '19700101000000.0Z' should be '16010101000000.0Z'
> Fix normalisation for whenCreated from
> CN=rpc-Ns-Group,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samdom,DC=com? [YES]
> Normalised attribute whenCreated
>

> This repeats 1000+ times for many different entries.
>
> The samba-tool unfortunately does not fix the issue because when I start
> it a second time it will complain again, this time with values switched
> around:
>
> value '16010101000000.0Z' should be '19700101000000.0Z'

Both are expressions of 'zero time', in NT and unix times respectively.

I suppose fix would be to always normalize via NT times, not unix times,
but it seems quite odd that we have zero values here to start with.  I
guess Win2k did something strange in the original setup, long ago.

Sorry not to be able to give you an instant fix, but at least I can
assure you that this is 'mostly harmless' in the short-term.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
http://samba.org/~abartlet/