[Samba] Two Samba Server (with same Domain Name) on the same subnet??

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Feb 7 11:29:48 MST 2014

Hello,

Am 07.02.2014 13:30, schrieb W Forum W:
> We have a samba (v3.2.5).domain (workgroup=TESTDOMAIN)  on a debian
> server (with opanldap authentication) running for several years.
> Now I would like to let this domain temporarily active (due to old
> windowsXP client, they will dissaperar  soon).
>
> In the meantime I will setup a second samba server (v3.6.6)
> (authentication through another openldap server - running already) with
> the same Domain Name (workgroup=TESTDOMAIN) for new windows 7 Clients.
>
> My question: is it possible to run 2 Samba Servers (both preferred
> master and domain master) with the same Domain Name without interfering
> each other.??

No, you can't have the same name for two machines in your network.

But why not simply upgrade your old PDC to Samba AD? The XP machines
work great with AD. And you can migrate them later.

And you don't have the problem, that if you have two different domains,
that you must handle access to your files from both domains.

Regards,
Marc