[Samba] Flexible Single-Master Operations (FSMO) documentation

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Aug 31 10:56:41 MDT 2014

Hello Mourik Jan,

Am 31.08.2014 16:06, schrieb mourik jan heupink - merit:
> Perhaps it's a good idea to add to the docs the current bug, where
> not all roles are transferred using 'samba-tool fsmo transfer
> role=all', and some remain on the old DC. (and thus demoting an old
> DC fails)

You're right. I've added a note.

Do you know if this bug also appears if the the roles are seized and not
transfered?

> I think that the remaing two roles can be changed like:
>
> ldbedit -H sam.ldb -b 'CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=...'
> and
> ldbedit -H sam.ldb -b 'CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=...'
>
> there you can change the fsmo rule owner. (I guess that demoting the old
> DC should work then, but haven't tested that)

I can add this as a workaround. But do you have any source, that this is
the only change that had to be done? We should only recommend
workarounds that have been tested. Manual editing the AD can bring
side-effects somewhen.

Regards,
Marc