[Samba] samba-tool join domain fails

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Wed Sep 25 06:23:21 MDT 2013

On 9/23/2013 12:17 PM, Axel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> big problem with my testint environment... my windows 2003-domain exists
> since 2004 and the credentials are correct, guaranteed.
> This problem is actually same on Ubuntu 12.04.3 and Debian 7...

(I just added Samba4 to an existing Windows 2003 Active Directory domain
this morning.  So I'm in a similar situation, but my setup worked
flawlessly.)

Were you able to do:

# kinit administrator

- Try it with a wrong password, see if it gives the correct error
message of "kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial
credentials"
- Successful kinit outputs nothing

If that test doesn't work, then I'd suspect issues in your
/etc/krb5.conf file.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC#Getting_ready_for_joining_Samba_as_a_DC_to_an_existing_domain