[Samba] group share directory

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Sep 16 13:17:13 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 09:58 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 09/16/13 02:10, steve wrote:
> > How about a big hammer? cron:
> > find /mnt/z/data -type f -exec chmod 777 {} \;
> > as often as you think users may mv or cp.
> > Try exec+ if they move a lot of files.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  :-)
>

> I would also need to do directories.  Ignoring the group sticky bit, the
> desired mode is the same.  So, I could lose the find and just "chmod -R
> 0777".  But, what about symbolic links?  Or sockets, named pipes, block
> or character specials, etc.?  Hmmm...  Perhaps I need to forget about
> local access and settle for a Samba solution for regular files and
> directories only -- e.g. configure Samba to provide the needed
> functionality and then make Samba the only way into or out of GroupShare.
>

> David

Hi
It picks up directories too. It will be slow without the find. Just find
all the files without 777. If it doesn't find any, it won't do anything:
find / -type f ! -perm 777

For symlinks everyone here will tell you not to use smb.conf:
follow symlinks = Yes
wide links = Yes

sockets and pipes, don't know.
Cheers