[Samba] group share directory

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Mon Sep 16 10:58:30 MDT 2013

On 09/16/13 02:10, steve wrote:
> How about a big hammer? cron:
> find /mnt/z/data -type f -exec chmod 777 {} \;
> as often as you think users may mv or cp.
> Try exec+ if they move a lot of files.

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

I would also need to do directories.  Ignoring the group sticky bit, the
desired mode is the same.  So, I could lose the find and just "chmod -R
0777".  But, what about symbolic links?  Or sockets, named pipes, block
or character specials, etc.?  Hmmm...  Perhaps I need to forget about
local access and settle for a Samba solution for regular files and
directories only -- e.g. configure Samba to provide the needed
functionality and then make Samba the only way into or out of GroupShare.

David