[Samba] Sharing files while being member of an active directory

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 12 02:00:49 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 02:10 +0200, Mikkel Christensen wrote:
> Hi Greg
>

> > You give almost no information about what's wrong or the details.
> I think, when you take my question into consideration, that i provided plenty of information. But i shall try to get a little bit more into the details.
>
> > Did your install go flawlessly, and the new Samba box joined the
> > domain fine?
> As i said in the first mail, "wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g works" … so yes the install was flawless and the join procedure worked very well.
>
> > What Windows clients, Win7, XP, Vista, Win8, Win95?
> Windows Server 2012
>
> > Are the windows clients members of the domain?
> Yes of course
>
> > What is holding the domain, a Samba server or Windows?
> > What functional level is the domain? (AD 2000, AD 2008R2 etc)
> Windows 2008R2
>
> > It's not clear to me, you're sharing files from the Samba4 box?
> It's pretty clear when you look at the referred guide: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Domain_Member
>
> > Could you reproduce your smb.conf?
> Yes … it's in the guide as well: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Domain_Member
>
> > I'm probably not the guy who can help best, but no-one will have the
> > least idea where to start with what you've *not* provided in terms of
> > details.
>
> Thanks for your insight, but i expect the correct answer to be "You are following the wrong guide, go here: http://something.com/blah" :-)
>
> Anyway i hope these further details may help others help me … :-)
>
> /Mike

Hi
As you've followed the guide, you will have:
'Users/groups having a uidNumber/gidNumber set in AD. . .'.

The only other thing I can think of is
the permissions on:
/srv/samba/test

kinit mikkel at MIKJAER.COM

smbclient //fileserver/test -Umikkel

As a separate test, then from a root account, su to mikkel on the
fileserver and migrate to the share.

You'll have also tested rfc2307 as per the guide, but what does:
getent passwd mikkel
give?

Something to try. . .
HTH