[Samba] Sharing files while being member of an active directory

Mikkel Christensen mikkel at mikjaer.com
Wed Sep 11 18:10:48 MDT 2013

Hi Greg

> You give almost no information about what's wrong or the details.
I think, when you take my question into consideration, that i provided plenty of information. But i shall try to get a little bit more into the details.

> Did your install go flawlessly, and the new Samba box joined the
> domain fine?
As i said in the first mail, "wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g works" … so yes the install was flawless and the join procedure worked very well.

> What Windows clients, Win7, XP, Vista, Win8, Win95?
Windows Server 2012

> Are the windows clients members of the domain?
Yes of course

> What is holding the domain, a Samba server or Windows?
> What functional level is the domain? (AD 2000, AD 2008R2 etc)
Windows 2008R2

It's pretty clear when you look at the referred guide: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Domain_Member

Yes … it's in the guide as well: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Domain_Member

> I'm probably not the guy who can help best, but no-one will have the
> least idea where to start with what you've *not* provided in terms of
> details.

Thanks for your insight, but i expect the correct answer to be "You are following the wrong guide, go here: http://something.com/blah" :-)

Anyway i hope these further details may help others help me … :-)

/Mike