[Samba] oplocks for Access DB

sond sond at ihug.co.nz
Wed Sep 4 17:07:17 MDT 2013

On 03/09/13 21:22, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 09:10:18AM +1200, sond wrote:
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> First time poster here..
>>
>> I have a Samba 3.4.7 ( will upgrade soon ) in a workgroup enviroment,
>> This server has a share containing various Access DB backends..
>>
>> Wondering about the .ldb lock files that the client front-ends
>> produce.. and if the oplocks and veto options are still current ?
>> as various combinations i have tried don't seem to work..
>>
>> Would be keen to hear how others handle Access back ends on Samba shares..
> We believe that we handle oplocks and the real locks
> correctly. But as those files are typically shared, oplocks
> are usually lost quickly. So it should be okay to not grant
> oplock files at all on those shared files.
>
> What fails exactly?
>
> With best regards,
>
> Volker Lendecke

Hi

I did keep seeing .ldb lock files in the share containing the Access DB
back-ends
and am not sure if this is desirable or not in terms of optimisation and
integrity..

However.. I have noticed an error in my smb.conf for the share that
testparm didn't notify me of..

I had:

veto oplock files = /*.mdb

which I think should actually be:

veto oplock files = /*.mdb/

..so my current config for the share is now:

## -- Access back ends are here ----
[DB_BE]
         path = /home/DATA2/DB_BE
         write list = +db-users
         force group = +db-users
         force create mode = 0770
         force directory mode = 0770
         oplocks = no
         level2 oplocks = no
         veto oplock files = /*.mdb/
         guest ok = no
         printable = no
         browseable = no

Any suggestions to improve this config would be welcome.

Cheers

sond