[Samba] access my created share in smb.conf Only by Ip

Carlos R. Pena Evertsz carlosrpevertsz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:20:51 MDT 2012

Hi Mohammad,

I had the same problem like many others,  so I think samba should
include a note like mine in their documentation.

This is the trick for successfully access the share with the hostname..

Be sure you have the following lines in the smb.conf:

netbios name = yourhostname
wins support = yes

Find the "name resolve order" directive and be sure you have it in the
following order.

name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

Add the following line:

hosts allow = the host ip / mask

Where the host ip is your server ip.
              the mask is the mask you are using in all your windows
clients.

This is the most important thing. For example If you have in your server
the mask 255.255.0.0 then all your clients must have the same network
mask. Windows clients with the same mask of the server will see the
server on the network with it hostname otherwise you need to access the
server by its ip number. I think this is a Windows issue but they have
left it in this way so we have to live with it.

I hope this can help you.

Carlos
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic