[Samba] DNS forward - Re: samba Digest, Vol 118, Issue 12

Bob Cavey wedgeshot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:22:49 MDT 2012

I can confirm this behavior, forwards work ok until the limit is reached.
Setup is a single DC with less that 6 machines joined to the domain and
maybe another 6 machines pointing at this DNS.

Does anyone want the gdb info that was stated from a prior thread back in
issue 10?

interim fix: I just added ulimit -n 8192 to the start script and a cron to
restart samba twice a day for now.

 samba version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-456f821

------------- snippet from the log --------------
[2012/09/25 12:46:14,  0] ../source4/smbd/server.c:475(binary_smbd_main)
  samba: using 'standard' process model
[2012/10/03 18:07:09,  0]
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
  ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
[2012/10/03 18:17:09,  0]
../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294(dnsupdate_nameupdate_done)
  ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
[2012/10/03 18:27:09,  0]