[Samba] Roaming Profiles under Linux clients

Mario Codeniera mario.codeniera at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:56:38 MDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That doesn't sound like a roaming profile at all.
> >
> > No it isn't. The bit before it was. I mentioned it as we set it at the
> same
> > time as the profile path in the directory. That's all.
>
> By "the bit before that" I assume you mean the LDAP and share changes?
>  That would not magically make the client do anything.  In particular
> it would not make them copy profiles to/from the server.  That is why
> I was asking about configuration and software on the client and not
> the server, which you had already mentioned.
>
> Anyway, from what you and Rowland have said that is not possible with
> Linux clients.  Of course roaming profiles may not be what you want
> and you could instead access everything directly over the network
> using e.g. NFS4 as you say.
>
> --
> Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>
> --

Thank you guys.

You give me ideas on the alternative coz as you said it is not possible.
Suppose to be I want the a  particular user account's profiles, the same
regardless where he/she login on a workstations (either Windows or Linux).
As far I read some articles it loads faster when you first login on a new
workstation (I dunno know if it really true as of the moment). At the same
time backup of files on the server side.

I use winbind and modify some configurations on the pam.d. I dunno have
idea yet of Samba4 ldap. I bit confused on it, unless some will give idea
on it. Do I need to setup ldap clients? and/or the correct configurations?
coz in samba3 (as DC) you need it to pull out the data via TLS to make it
secure.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com> wrote:
>pam_csync http://www.csync.org/ seems to be pretty close to a direct
>feature-equivalent for linux.

>though such a thing is not always appropriate, nfs or pam_mount will
>be faster and easier to maintain if you don't need the clients to be
>able to work off-line.

I will try to use it, among those three if which is more efficient,
pam_csync, nfs or pam_mount. Thanks again for the information.