[Samba] Roaming Profiles under Linux clients

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 23:44:29 MDT 2012

On 6 October 2012 17:13, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 06/10/12 11:14, Michael Wood wrote:

>>> [...] Linux clients map whatever the [home]
>>> share points at to the unixHomeDirectory attribute. The latter can use
>>> either winbind or nslcd to pull the info from ldap.
>>> Let me know if you need any more detail.
>>
>> That doesn't sound like a roaming profile at all.
>
> No it isn't. The bit before it was. I mentioned it as we set it at the same
> time as the profile path in the directory. That's all.

By "the bit before that" I assume you mean the LDAP and share changes?
 That would not magically make the client do anything.  In particular
it would not make them copy profiles to/from the server.  That is why
I was asking about configuration and software on the client and not
the server, which you had already mentioned.

Anyway, from what you and Rowland have said that is not possible with
Linux clients.  Of course roaming profiles may not be what you want
and you could instead access everything directly over the network
using e.g. NFS4 as you say.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>