[Samba] UID Matching

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:22:17 MST 2011

Just to clarify , by uid you mean then numerical user id?

Unix uid's are different that Windows SID's -  so they will never be
identical.   Samba has idmapping functionality to map unix id's (e.g.
123) to samba sid's (e.g
S-1-5-xx-aaaaaaaaaaaaa-bbbbbbbbbbb-cccccccccc-1123)

Since you already have active directory in place you probably want to do
the following:
     -  configure samba as a member server of the windows AD domain
     - configure unix authentication to use the samba server in place of
NIS  (e.g. when you log in to unix, /etc/nsswitch.conf is configured to
resolve password and groups via winbind.)

Samba shd allocate unix id's for your windows accounts,  but
unfortunately they will not end up being the same as your existing uid's.

Windows Server has (at least 2003 did) Services for Unix, which should
add some basic NIS functionality to Windows Server.       It at least
lets your Windows account store some basic unix account info.  But I
don't know if you can configure samba to use those.