[Samba] UID Matching

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Tue Jan 18 14:44:06 MST 2011

Good afternoon...

Currently my Unix and Windows UID's don't match, nowhere close to it.  I use
AD for the Windows side of the house from a Win2K8 Server and I still use
NIS for the Unix/Linux side of the house.  I don't do single sign-on yet, so
everyone in the building has a Windows account and a Unix account with two
different UID's, but the same username.

Now, I'm at a point where I need to share a filesystem from a Samba server
to Windows, but it also needs to be accessible via NFS to the Unix users at
the same time.

What is the best way to do this and get some cohesion between the UID's???
I was thinking I could extend AD with the Unix stuff but then stopped and
realized I'd be better of asking the world than guessing, in a production
environment.

Thanks!

-b