[Samba] nmblookup - windows 7 does not respond

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Apr 28 20:07:14 MDT 2011

From: jcdole <jcdole at free.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:16:11 +0000 (UTC)

> TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo <at> monyo.com> writes:
>
> > From: jcdole <jcdole <at> free.fr>
> > Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:25:48 +0000 (UTC)
> >
> > > Laptop with windows 7 pro 32 bits (192.168.130.66) does not respond to
> > > nmblookup.
(snip)

> > Because by default Windows 7 do not start "computer browser" service.
> >
> > To start "computer browser" service, please refer to
> >
> http://www.websense.com/content/support/library/web/v75/triton_web_help/enable_comp_browser_svc.aspx
> >

> On the windows 7 laptop
> ------------------------
> Browser service was already activated.
> Wins server adress was already set to linux server.

Have you enabled Network File Sharing? and of course have you already
disabled your 3rd-party firewall properly if you installed?

If you only start "computer browser" service, it is not enabled. you
also need to enable Network File Sharing to enable "computer browser".

If you already enabled, I can not understand why and recommend to
capture packets and analize.

> More surprising :
> I try to join the windows 7 laptop to domain ( the linux server ) ==> SUCCESS

It's not a surprising matter. Sorry, to explain why is a bit
difficult. Generally Windows client can search DC whether it can
announce itself by responding to nmblookup or not.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>