[Samba] CTDB and PDC Role

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 12:48:38 MDT 2010

On 02/11/10 08:01, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:14:43AM +0100, Daniel Müller wrote:
>
>> I just did the same questions months ago with no answer!?
>> Now I am curious to here if this is working for now. In the past ctdb only
>> worked for me only for file serving.
>>
> Well, and to a certain extent this is still true. ctdb has
> no provisions to migrate the PDC role when the PDC node
> fails. It would mean to restart nmbd, but in a typical
> clustered file server nmbd is a bit difficult to set up
> anyway. Most clusters I've set up so far don't have nmbd at
> all.
>
> So I'd recommend to split the DC roles and the HA-fileserver
> cluster using ctdb. You don't need the complexity of ctdb
> for your DCs anyway, PDC/BDC is highly available implicitly.
>
> Volker

I asked a question like this ages ago:

If you had a shared filesystem between the PDC and BDC(s) then surely
you wouldn't need to migrate your BDC to a PDC automatically, you could
do it at your leisure. The only thing is the WINS server, which you
could either provide on a very reliable box or one with conventional
failover (no CTDB) as you won't be serving files or logons from this
machine; alternatively use smb4wins.

For your logon scripts and profiles in your LDAP you'd just point to a
virtual IP/hostname of the PDC/BDC cluster.

Volker, would this work?

Cheers

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 1200
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)