[Samba] CTDB and PDC Role

Ciro Iriarte cyruspy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 07:37:54 MDT 2010

2010/11/2 Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:14:43AM +0100, Daniel Müller wrote:
>> I just did the same questions months ago with no answer!?
>> Now I am curious to here if this is working for now. In the past ctdb only
>> worked for me only for file serving.
>
> Well, and to a certain extent this is still true. ctdb has
> no provisions to migrate the PDC role when the PDC node
> fails. It would mean to restart nmbd, but in a typical
> clustered file server nmbd is a bit difficult to set up
> anyway. Most clusters I've set up so far don't have nmbd at
> all.
>
> So I'd recommend to split the DC roles and the HA-fileserver
> cluster using ctdb. You don't need the complexity of ctdb
> for your DCs anyway, PDC/BDC is highly available implicitly.
>
> Volker

Well, I need a PDC/BDC pair and a HA fileservice. Right now we are
looking to install two new servers, with the resources this will use
it makes no sense to buy/build 4 servers....

We're going to use OpenAIS+Pacemaker anyway to be able to use OCFS2.
The thing is, I'm not sure how the PDC/BDC role integrates in a CTDB
fileserver cluster as all the nodes use the same NETBIOS name. Should
I go with a Active/Standby figure outside Samba, that is, a DRBD FS
mounts in one node at a time; and a regular BDC/PDC pair?

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte
http://cyruspy.wordpress.com