[Samba] single stream performance issue, Win2K, WinXP, Samba 3.2.5-4lenny7 (Debian Lenny)

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 05:09:51 MST 2010

2010/1/24 Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 02:11:04PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> The 11MB/s was a different test, which I clearly stated.
>> It consisted of two concurrent single stream file copies
>> _from_ the Samba server _to_ a Win2K workstation using
>> standard Windows Explorer as the file copy program.  This
>> test saturated one leg of the 100FDX ethernet connection
>> at ~11.5MB/s.
>
> Just a quick hint: Single stream performance really heavily
> depends on the concrete client behaviour. smbclient from 3.2
> and higher should give you good performance. And watch out
> which program on the Windows client you use to do the copy.
> xcopy, robocopy and the Windows explorer on some OS version
> give dramatically different results. The difference comes
> from overlapping requests or their absence.

Except that he said "I can copy files between the Win2K and WinXP
machines at just over 10MB/s in a single stream and max out the 11MB/s
with two streams."  I am assuming he used the same client in that test
as he did with the test against Samba.  So from what he's said it
seems that he gets more speed with a Windows server than with Samba
for the same client.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>