[Samba] single stream performance issue, Win2K, WinXP, Samba 3.2.5-4lenny7 (Debian Lenny)

Sun Jan 24 04:04:53 MST 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 02:11:04PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> The 11MB/s was a different test, which I clearly stated.
> It consisted of two concurrent single stream file copies
> _from_ the Samba server _to_ a Win2K workstation using
> standard Windows Explorer as the file copy program.  This
> test saturated one leg of the 100FDX ethernet connection
> at ~11.5MB/s.

Just a quick hint: Single stream performance really heavily
depends on the concrete client behaviour. smbclient from 3.2
and higher should give you good performance. And watch out
which program on the Windows client you use to do the copy.
xcopy, robocopy and the Windows explorer on some OS version
give dramatically different results. The difference comes
from overlapping requests or their absence.

Volker