[Samba] [HELP] SAMBA as PDC for windows.

Robert Freeman-Day presgas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:44:05 MST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Chris_90 wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 05:45:12 -0800 (PST)
> From: Chris_90 <chrischris_90 at hotmail.com>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba]  [HELP] SAMBA as PDC for windows.
>

> Hi guys, well, reason I'm here is because im stuck, I've tried everything but
> have come up empty handed every single time, and I really need this
> security, and fast. I'm not going to pay a few thousand for windows server
> ... because this can be done with SAMBA. Here goes. I tried to setup samba
> with defaults, went to (on windows) Control Panel -> System -> (TAB)
> Computer Name -> Change ... Change domain name to my domain name I setup on
> samba .... and I get this error :
> [code]
> A domain controler for domain X could not be located.
> Ensure the domain name is typed correctly.
> [/code]
> After that I went to a website and got some other configs and I used them :
> [code]
> [global]
> 	workgroup = mydomain
> 	wins support = yes
> 	printing = cups
> 	printcap name = cups
> 	printcap cache time = 750
> 	cups options = raw
> 	map to guest = Bad User
> 	include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
> 	logon path = \%L\profiles\.msprofile
> 	logon home = \%L\%U\.9xprofile
> 	logon drive = P:
> 	domain logons = Yes
> 	os level = 65
> 	usershare allow guests = No
> 	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
> /bin/false %m$
> 	domain logons = Yes
> 	domain master = Yes
> 	local master = Yes
> 	os level = 64
> 	preferred master = Yes
> 	security = user
> 	netbios name = mycomp
> 	passdb backend = smbpasswd
> [/code]
>
> But still I get exactly the same error, now I don't know if I need some
> other things setup with this for it to work, I need some help urgently ...
> please help ... N.B. On this comp no DHCP or DNS server is setup, for the
> sole reason that I have no idea how to do it. I would appreciate the help
> ... and please be very specific as I have about 2 weeks linux experience
> .... I use SUSE 11.1.
>
> Thanx in advance.
> Chris.
> --

You may want to read over some of the docs from samba and others.  Also,
you need DNS or at least DNS records for your domain controller.  Read
over the docs below before replying with further questions.  Setting up a
Domain Controller is not a trivial or quick task.

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/10950_1144701_1

- ---Robert Freeman-Day
I would really like you to be on my side,
but the side you show me isn't what I had in mind.

- -Judybats
GPG Public Key:
http:keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBA9DF9ED3E4C7D36