[Samba] [HELP] SAMBA as PDC for windows.

Chris_90 chrischris_90 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:45:12 MST 2010

Hi guys, well, reason I'm here is because im stuck, I've tried everything but
have come up empty handed every single time, and I really need this
security, and fast. I'm not going to pay a few thousand for windows server
... because this can be done with SAMBA. Here goes. I tried to setup samba
with defaults, went to (on windows) Control Panel -> System -> (TAB)
Computer Name -> Change ... Change domain name to my domain name I setup on
samba .... and I get this error :
[code]
A domain controler for domain X could not be located.
Ensure the domain name is typed correctly.
[/code]
After that I went to a website and got some other configs and I used them :
[code]
[global]
	workgroup = mydomain
	wins support = yes
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups
	printcap cache time = 750
	cups options = raw
	map to guest = Bad User
	include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
	logon drive = P:
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	usershare allow guests = No
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
	domain logons = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	local master = Yes
	os level = 64
	preferred master = Yes
	security = user
	netbios name = mycomp
	passdb backend = smbpasswd
[/code]

But still I get exactly the same error, now I don't know if I need some
other things setup with this for it to work, I need some help urgently ...
please help ... N.B. On this comp no DHCP or DNS server is setup, for the
sole reason that I have no idea how to do it. I would appreciate the help
... and please be very specific as I have about 2 weeks linux experience
.... I use SUSE 11.1.

Thanx in advance.
Chris.