[Samba] How to speed up Samba From Mac OS 10.6 to access Windows Share under W2K3

Thu Jan 21 06:58:07 MST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 02:34:51PM +0100, Kostic, Jacques wrote:
> We I connect to //w2k3/share I am effectively using a GUI tool to do that.
>
> The tool show me my server like this:
>
> 	smb://licorne
>
> If I the double click on this, then I am getting all my
> shares and I can mount one.
>
> So Yes Samba is used and at the end the smbclient
> //w2k3/share  is raised to map my drive.

Ok, I think we have a misunderstanding here.

smb://licorne

does not necessarily mean Samba is used. It does mean that
the SMB (Server Message Block) protocol is used.

OS/X has its own implementation of the SMB protocol that has
nothing to do with Samba. If a Windows share/volume shows up on your
Desktop as an icon which you can open by clicking on it and
you can directly open, say, pdf files from that, then no,
Samba is not involved. In that case it is purely Apple code
that the Samba community has no stakes in.

Volker