[Samba] Ubuntu packaging vs Debian packaging

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sat Jan 16 03:40:16 MST 2010

Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Samba packages in Ubuntu are directly derived from Debian
> packages. So, telling that "Debian packages are bad" while "Ubuntu
> packages are good" is just....silly. They're basically the same..:-)

When Etch originally shipped, the Samba packages maintainers for Debian acknowledged that the state of Samba was less perfect than they desired.

After the conference, for which I ended up using an Ubuntu server to present on, I again tested Etch (another clean load) and by that time the Samba packages were working properly.

Just that the OP on this thread sounded very much like the reason I ended up switching from Debian to Ubuntu. Thus my comment... "and the rest is history..."

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems