[Samba] Given up on Fedora Ubuntu is 1000-folder simpler

Rob Shinn morgan at tuxedo.darktech.org
Fri Jan 15 13:46:16 MST 2010

Michael Lueck wrote:
> When Etch came out, the Samba packages were so bad that I ended up
> trying Ubuntu (7.04). It worked great!

That's just silly.  I use Ubuntu on my desktops and servers mostly
because I prefer the extra fit-and-polish it has to Debian.  But I've
used both and the packages themselves are basically the same.  A
particular Ubuntu stable release package of Samba is more likely to be
more current than the Debian stable release, but that's a result of
policy differences, not technical ones.  The source for the packages is
the same:  the Debian package repos.  The main difference is that Ubuntu
might add a patch or two that hasn't made it into the stable Debian
package yet, but other than that, they are the same.

Kudos to the good work of the Debian devs.  Without you, there would be
no Ubuntu and the world would be much worse off without Debian.

As far as the comments on Fedora, you're also aware that the Ubuntu devs
follow Fedora development and take away some of their best stuff, too,
right?