[Samba] User and GRoup mapping

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:03:33 MST 2010

The PDC may also have an idmap range but I think, unless you ldap as a
backend, they will not necessary be the same.

If I set the permissions for a file under unix to be accessible to unix
rob, and rob from windows tries to read the file-  I think what happens
is it will try to map "DOMAIN\rob" to the local unix rob and still allow
access.    If you tail the various samba logs you should see it trying
to map the windows user to the unix user.        I think I had to set
the samba share as public and then rely on the file system ACL's to
restrict files.    This is because, for verifying access to the shares,
the user mapping wasn't working properly.

Typically, in my environment, the main bulk of the files for both samba
and nfs access was on one machine, which was also the PDC.  The other
samba machines were typically machines used primarily by unix users who
needed to share some data with windows users.      This was a workaround
that met the limited requirements of our situation.

This is with Samba 3.0.x.  I am hoping when I move to Samba 3.4.x a lot
of this stuff will work better.