[Samba] concurrent ms access usage does not work with 3.4.3

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 08:36:00 MST 2010

On 01/12/10 10:33, Andreas Moroder wrote:
> Since we upgraded samba to 3.4.3 ( from 3.0.26a ) on our fileserver
> only one user at a time can use a ms access ( .mdb ) program we wrote.
> The second user that tries to start this application gets a message
> that the mdb is lockeb by another user. The strange thing is that I as
> administrator can connect as second uset to the mdb without problems.
>
> Is this a known probleme and is there a solution ?
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

It sounds like the users no longer have the appropriate permissions to
create/modify the appropriate temporary files.
My guess is that when you upgraded to 3.4.3 you enabled more
fine-grained ACL support.

What OS and file system?  Do you have ACL support?   I can't speak for
MS Access, but I did find that MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and will often
explicitly modify file permissions in a way that could result in the
user loosing access.    This was on solaris, when we changed migrated
from UFS to ZFS file system.   For example,  if a file was set to be 660
in unix, the "user and group can read and write but everyone else is not
allowed" in unix would be treated as "everyone is denied even the user
and group" in Windows.    If you check the permissions under windows you
would see that a deny entry was overriding the allow entries.