[Samba] Renaming a computer on a Samba domain

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Tue Jan 12 13:41:02 MST 2010

No it doesn't.  :)

Most companies simply keep record of who has what equipment. Assign an
inventory number to the asset then record the current holder of that
asset. This allows you to keep track of the full life cycle of the
asset. Changing the identifier every time the asset gets reassigned
prevents this.

This is asset/inventory control 101.

However, I'm also guess that you don't want any old files left on the
computers when they change departments. You should be re-imaging the
drives each time they move. So use LDAP transactions to remove the old
computer names from the domain. Re-image the drives and join them to the
domain with their new names. Apart from the LDAP transaction, this is
the same as not changing the name.

If you're not re-imaging then I have to ask why not? However, I don't
believe you need to leave the domain to change a name. Have you tried
logging on with a local account then joining the domain with the new
name? Removing the old name from the LDAP database should be sufficient.