[Samba] Renaming a computer on a Samba domain

Jason Somers jason at redbarncomputers.com
Tue Jan 12 09:57:48 MST 2010

We shift computers around a lot, and therefore need to rename several
whenever we get new batches of systems in.

Tried simply renaming a system while on the domain, but got an "access
denied" error. I WAS able to disjoin the domain, remove the LDAP entry
for the computer, log in as a local administrator, rename the computer,
and rejoin the domain a different computer name.

However, this is a HUGE pain. The number of reboots alone is a genuine
time-killer. Doing it one several systems can waste an entire day. Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jason

Jason Somers