[Samba] Read-only fs

Rob Shinn rob.shinn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:55:14 MST 2010

Kacper wrote:
> The file exists there but is of course read-only. Does samba need to
> write to this secret file or why doesn't it want to open that file?

If you want your root filesystem read-only (like, say, to boot your
server from a CD-ROM or embedded device) then you can just copy this
file to a RAM disk and either point to it in your smb.conf via the
'private dir =' directive, or else mount /etc/samba on your ramdisk and
copy the files that go in there on startup.  The latter exactly what my
Linksys NAS200 running Samba 3.0.22 does. (I'm running the jac4 custom
firmware)