[Samba] windows 7 and printer sharing

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Tue Jan 5 05:03:25 MST 2010

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:03:38 +0100 Christophe Baegert <c.baegert-listes at lixium.fr> wrote:

CB> Hi,
CB> On a linux server with CUPS, I installed Samba to share it with windows
CB> computers.
CB> I managed to share it with my Macbook on MacOS 10.4, with this address : |
CB> smb://login:password@name _of_server/name_of_printer|
CB> So I think my server is well configured.
CB> BUT I don't even see my network on a Windows 7 computer (I applied the

In your case I wouldn't use smb for printing.
both OSX and windows (at least recent ones) can print directly to a CUPS
server.
the main advantage of SMB printing is automatic installation of drivers.
this is worth the trouble only if you have many clients.
(and to my knowledge it doesn't work with 64bits OS)

Use http://your.cups.server/printers/your_printername
to connect to your cups server.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping