[Samba] windows 7 and printer sharing

Christophe Baegert c.baegert-listes at lixium.fr
Tue Jan 5 04:03:38 MST 2010

Hi,

On a linux server with CUPS, I installed Samba to share it with windows
computers.

I managed to share it with my Macbook on MacOS 10.4, with this address : |
smb://login:password@name _of_server/name_of_printer|

So I think my server is well configured.

BUT I don't even see my network on a Windows 7 computer (I applied the

Maybe it's because it thinks it's on a public network ?

I use Linux for 10 years, but the last Windows computer I used was using
NT4, it was in 2003, so I'm really lost with this Windows 7 !!!
What can I do ? Even if the auto-detection doesn't work, is it possible
to use a simple manual address like I do with my Macbook ?

Thanks in advance !

This is my smb.conf :

#
# Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux.
#
#
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options most of which
# are not shown in this example
#
# Some options that are often worth tuning have been included as
# commented-out examples in this file.
#  - When such options are commented with ";", the proposed setting
#    differs from the default Samba behaviour
#  - When commented with "#", the proposed setting is the default
#    behaviour of Samba but the option is considered important
#    enough to be mentioned here
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
# "testparm" to check that you have not made any basic syntactic
# errors.
# A well-established practice is to name the original file
# "smb.conf.master" and create the "real" config file with
# testparm -s smb.conf.master >smb.conf
# This minimizes the size of the really used smb.conf file
# which, according to the Samba Team, impacts performance
# However, use this with caution if your smb.conf file contains nested
# "include" statements. See Debian bug #483187 for a case
# where using a master file is not a good idea.
#

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
    workgroup = XXXXXXXX

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
    server string = %h server

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
    dns proxy = no

hosts allow = 192.168.1.

#### Networking ####

interfaces = eth0

#### Debugging/Accounting ####

    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 1

####### Authentication #######

security = share

    encrypt passwords = true

    passdb backend = tdbsam

    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes

    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes

########## Printing ##########

load printers = yes
printing = cups