[Samba] Can't get share to show up on windows

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Sun Jan 3 16:57:16 MST 2010

Peter;

You may find the following of interest. I had a problem where one box,
Fedora 11, would not browse the local network for shares. I too have a very
simple network, no DC's, no active directory etc, just one machine acting as
a local browse master. Of the several Linux boxes I have the F11 box was the
only one I had trouble with. I found the following info and that seemed to
fix it for me. Turns out it really wasn't a samba problem.

I did an awful lot of research using Google on the network file share
browsing issue I had with Fedora 11 using Nautilus. The two things that
stand out are something the ISP's are doing and also with the NetBIOS name
resolution order done by Samba.

It seems many ISP's are now using "DNS redirection" in place of simply
returning an error message that the URL can't be found with the appropriate
error code. Instead they redirect bad URL's to some advert site or offer to
do a search for a similar URL. This redirection seems to really screw with
Samba's NetBIOS name resolution method.  Fortunately for me Comcast has a
way through the user account preferences to turn this "feature" OFF. Various
posts on the 'net claim this violates the documented way DNS look ups work.
The suggestion is to either turn it off if you can, which may involve a
phone call to your ISP, if not then LOUDLY complain about it screwing up you
network.

The second item is the NetBIOS name resolution order in Samba. I have the
following line in my samba.conf file:

name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host dhcp (or DNS for last entry)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/389909

Right now browsing for local shares using Samba through Nautilus's "Network"
option seems to be working, for now.

You may also want to check your firewall and make sure the ports are opened
for file sharing as well. A few people have forgotten about it.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO