[Samba] How to access shares via HTTP (apache2)

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Fri Jan 1 09:50:13 MST 2010

Daniel Müller wrote:
> Why do you need to access your shares via HTTP???!!
> THe only thing this might be usefull is from outside your lan over
> internet?!
> If you plan this, there ist the linux opensource solution OPENVPN!!
> With this mighty software
> you work with your shares and outlook from outside as if you were in
> your bureau.
> Take a look at it and give it a try!
> Daniel

With all due respect (really!), why do you ask a question like that?
Different people have different requirements.  In my case I have 2000
secondary school students that I give access to their home folders from
home so that they don't have to do everything via usb sticks.  Should I
manage 2000 certificates for this and complicate things for the
students, or should I use a simple web based solution that can run from
any browser on any machine?

OpenVPN is great, I use it for my access to the network from outside,
but it isn't the answer to everything!

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director