[Samba] How to access shares via HTTP (apache2)

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Fri Jan 1 09:02:01 MST 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Daniel Müller <mueller at tropenklinik.de>wrote:

> Why do you need to access your shares via HTTP???!!
> THe only thing this might be usefull is from outside your lan over
> internet?!
> If you plan this, there ist the linux opensource solution OPENVPN!! With
> this mighty software
> you work with your shares and outlook from outside as if you were in your
> bureau.
> Take a look at it and give it a try!
> Daniel

In our case, we already have a VPN solution (Cisco, definatly not our
choice) in place. We wanted a solution that is cross-platform and didn't
require anything to be intalled on the OS and would never be blocked by any
firewall. WebDav fit the bill alhough it sucks prety bad on Windows, it is
still there.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University