[Samba] Deletion of directory symlink via Samba deletes files in original subdirectory on Unix

Kathy banshee135 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 14:59:16 MST 2009

I'm reposting this because I posted it last time and then ran off to
Thanksgiving vacation.   The last question regarding it was what
version of Samba we are using.  We have multiple versions on different
flavors of Unix:  3.0.25a (Solaris 10 package), 3.0.33 (RHEL 4
package), and hand compiled 3.2.8 on RHEL 5.  All versions behave the
same and have the same issue.

The issue:  If you delete a Unix symlink via Samba that points to a
directory full of files, it will not only delete the symlink, but also
the files inside the pointed to subdirectory.  The subdir remains
intact, but now empty with no files.

Any ideas?  I am going to compile the latest and greatest Samba and
put it on a test machine to see if it resolves the problem.

Thanks --

Kathy