[Samba] User executional bit set when creating/modifying file on linux server from linux client

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Wed Dec 2 13:28:56 MST 2009

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:53:53 +0100
Fredrik Liljegren <fredrik at liljegren.org> wrote:

> Jeff Layton wrote:
> > I was actually more interested in a wire capture, but this tells me
> > something too...
> >
> > The logs here indicate that unix extensions were in effect. With that,
> > the file_mode and dir_mode should really never have any effect. I have
> > a feeling that these are bugs that existed prior to the big overhaul of
> > inode handling that went into 2.6.31.
> >
> > Is there a way for you to test a more recent kernel here (something
> > 2.6.31 or 2.6.32-ish)?
> >
> I upgraded to 2.6.31-1-amd64 (debian sid), but that didn't change
> anything.  Without file_mode in the mount, a simple file change still
> adds u+x.
>
> /F
>
> PS: I tried without nodfs, but then I get permission denied trying to
> change mode with chmod u-x...

(adding samba list back to cc list)

I see where we do send the mnt_file_mode in a posix open call if we're
opening an existing file. The server should ignore that however. Even
if it didn't, 3.0.24 probably has broken posix open calls for existing
files so I'm not sure it would use that codepath anyway.

This sounds really strange. Could you get a wire capture so we can see
what's happening there?

It might also be best to open a bug at bugzilla.samba.org as that would
give us a better forum for tracking this issue. If you do that, please
add me to the cc list (or email me with the bug number and I'll add
myself).

Thanks,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>